Like our Facebook page to be notified of new posts.
- Did Operation Ladbroke Even Exist?
- The Story of Glider Y – Bayonets & Threats of Execution
- Operation Ladbroke Sites – the Coup-de-Main Objectives
- Italian Cavalry Attack British Glider Troops on the Ponte Grande Bridge
- The Story of Glider 52 & Gozo in Operation Ladbroke
- A US glider trooper in Operation Varsity – John Kormann’s legacy
- Hopkinson vs Chatterton – the Facts
Category Archives: Veterans’ accounts
The source was impeccable: the BBC. The news was incredible: Italian cavalry had charged British airborne troops holding the Ponte Grande bridge. In the middle of WW2, could it possibly be true? The thunder of hooves, clods of earth flying, weapons … Continue reading
Flying Officer Ray Atkinson towed a Hamilcar glider in Operation Varsity. The flak over the Rhine was apparently fearsome, but he never mentioned it – only the guilt he felt that he and his crew were going back for a hot … Continue reading
As a 13 year old boy, Italian historian Tullio Marcon lived through the Allied invasion of Sicily in 1943. The Fascist creed he had been taught crumbled along with Italian resistance, especially when he met Allied soldiers and discovered they … Continue reading